Wednesday 2 February 2011

One month down and eleven to go

So I made it to the end of January and not a spot of meat has passed these lips and I am quite proud of myself. My last record was two weeks while skint and travelling in Australia, I caved in Brisbane when in the largest food hall I had ever encountered I spied a burger so big, so juicy, so magnificent that I caved like Kerry Katona with a bag of drugs...
But today I sit here typing this out meat free and feeling pretty good about it too... even a little smug...
So to all you meat eaters out there.... I'm going to interrupt myself there and add that my biggest challenge at the moment seems to be actually completing this blog before the end of this next month... OK, so back on track, where was I? oh yes... To all you meat eaters out there I say "See it can be done!"

I did nearly cave in watching my husband hungrily devouring a Burger King Whooper on the way to Wales at the weekend...

Jesus, just look at it... My Achilles' heel... (I am slobbering like Homer Simpson at the moment... maybe I should remove this picture)

And so, as if to twist the knife that was my need for meat, as if to punish myself for my love of Burger King burgers... juicy, juicy burgers... I ordered just a portion of fries... I don't even like them that much, I find them tasteless and potato-less. I had b-b-q sauce to liven them up but, as I caught Rod munching on the burger in my peripheral vision, they started to taste and feel like I was dipping in cold pieces of lard into a small tub of bile... It looked sooooooooooooo good... But i stood firm, good people, I did not cave this time. How ever much I wanted to rip that rich, meaty meat patty smothered in ketchup topped with gherkins, lettuce, onions and sweet, sweet tomatoes, nestled neatly between two seeded baps, from his hands... watching as bit by bit the salad, soaked in gooey red ketchup fell from the grips of the bap and landed either on the wrapper, neatly placed on rods lap or onto his trousers. I watched the meaty juices and bits of sauce clung to Rods stubble just waiting for his tongue to search them out later, I watched him eat this burger which to me at that time seemed more precious than diamonds and I hated him for it.

But, you know, forgive and forget...

I did have to make a complaint to the people at Sainsburys as it seems veggie chili and macaroni cheese are the only vegetarian options in their cafe (I am am getting a bit fed up with "the fish option") and they both seemed to be off on the day I went so, once again I was left with the jacket with cheese and beans option... Not again... I did get a sympathetic "ahh yeah" from the moronic woman behind the counter as I pointed this out but no more.

You gotta love them Sainsburys cafe people... Do the job share with the Debenhams lot?

So onward in to February... Bring on the veg!

No comments:

Post a Comment